Welcome to my personal page
I am researcher at BCAM - the Basque Center for Applied Mathematics
- and research leader of the Applied Statistics Group (part of Data Science BCAM research area).
I obtained my PhD. in Statistics at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in June 2010, previously I was Postdoctoral Researcher at CSIRO Mathematics, Informatics and Statistics division (old CMIS) now Digital Productivity Flagship in Melbourne Australia (from February 2011 to March 2014).
My research interest lies in statistical modelling for complex data. In particular, I'm studying smoothing techniques based on penalized splines regression models (Penalized Likelihood splines with B-splines basis) and tensor product smooths in mixed models framework ("Generalized Linear Mixed Models", GLMM's).
I am also member of the Statistical Modelling Society since July 2006 and since 2016, I am member of the board of the Spanish Biometric Society.
The main applications of my work are related to:
- Multidimensional smoothing
- Generalized Linear Array Models
- Spatial and spatio-temporal modelling
- Computational Statistics
- Disease mapping and epidemiology
- Mortality Life Tables
- Times series analysis and forecasting
- Mixed-effects models
- Environmental modelling
- Functional Data Analysis
- Wireless Sensors and Sensor Networks Data Analysis
- Health Related Quality of Life outcome data analysis
- Complex data visualization
- Diego Ayma Anza (uc3m) (cum laude, December 2016). Topic: "Penalized Composite Link Models for spatial and spatio-temporal aggregated counts" (with M. Durbán).
- Josu Najera Zuloaga (BCAM-Severo Ochoa) (cum laude, December 2017). Topic: "Multidimensional and longitudinal Beta-binomial regression for Health Related Quality of Life outcomes" (with I. Arostegui).
- Alba Carballo González (uc3m), PhD candidate (expected 2019). Topic: "Forecasting with Generalized Additive Models"
- Leire Citores Martínez (AZTI-BCAM), PhD candidate (expected 2019). Topic: "Statistical Modelling for Fishery Management"(with L. Ibaibarriaga).
- Ibon Martínez Arranz (OWL Metabolomics), PhD candidate (expected 2020). Topic: "Statistical Methods for Metabolomic data"
- Andreu Jiménez (BCAM-Università de Valencia), Msc. in Biostatistics (July 2015). Topic: "Statistical modelling of Health Related Quality of Life measures for Colorectal Cancer with beta-binomial and quantile regression approaches".
- Antoni Castellà Frasquet (Università de Valencia), Msc. in Biostatistics (July 2016).
- Pedro Ángel Fidel (Università de Valencia), Msc. in Biostatistics (September 2016).
- Rut Rodríguez García (University of the Basque Country, UPV/EHU), Msc. in Mathematical Modelling, in Mathematical Research and in Statistical and Computer Sciences (September 2017). Topic: "Validation of Probability of Default in Credit Risk Models".
Under graduate students
- Rut Rodríguez García (University of the Basque Country, UPV/EHU), Bsc. in Mathematics (July 2016). Topic: "Independent Component Analysis in Neuroscience".
- Ania Gorostiza López de Subijana (University of the Basque Country, UPV/EHU), Bsc. in Mathematics (July 2016). Topic: "Regularization methods in Genome Wide Association Studies"
Internship Programme students
- Gorka Kobeaga (BCAM-Internship Programme). Project title: "Open Source Tool for Traffic Incidents Analytics in the Basque Country". Visit the project at OpenTraffic
- Gökberk Ozsakalli (BCAM-DOC Course IMUS Programme) from Yasar University (Turkey). Project title: "A benchmark study of algorithms for face recognition".
- Imanol Pérez (University of the Basque Country). Project title: "Data analytics for financial services".
Alameda de Mazarredo, 14
E-48009 Bilbao, Basque Country - Spain
Tel: +34 946 567 842 (Ext. 277)
Fax: +34 946 567 843
BCAM webpage dlee
Scopus Author ID Scopus/56523584700